I’ll never forget when I first started living on my own in college. I lived off campus with a group of wonderful roommates, bounced way too many checks, and semi-consistently cooked a grand total of 3 dishes: Shepherd’s Pie, Beef Stroganoff and Pastina in chicken broth. Since this time, my meal repertoire has (thankfully) expanded quite a bit. However, Shepherd’s Pie remains a favorite, quick and easy meal that I love to make for my family.
Following is a healthy spin on this hearty dish. What makes it way better than the version I used to make in my college days is the use of Butcher Box 100% grass fed, grass finished ground beef and the cauliflower mashed potatoes. (My 30-something body doesn’t have the metabolism it used to, so I try to limit carb heavy white potatoes.) This can easily be made into a vegetarian dish by substituting cooked lentils for ground beef. Both versions are delicious. Enjoy!
Paleo or vegetarian. Yum!
Course: Main Course
Serves: 1 ScaleIngredients
- 2 tablespoonsolive oil
- 1 largeonion diced
- 1 poundorganic grass fed ground beef or turkey or lentils, if making vegetarian style
- 2 tspEsther’s Seasonings: Gourmet Salt Or 1 tsp Sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoonEsther’s Seasonings: West Indian Pepper Or black pepper
- 2 large headscauliflower or sweet potatoes trimmed, chopped and steamed until very soft
- 1 12 oz pkgfrozen veggies I like to use mixed vegetables. To be truly Paleo, these should not include corn.
- 1 12 oz jarorganic, no-sugar added tomato sauce
- Heat olive oil in large frying pan and sauté onion for ~3 minutes, until soft. Add garlic & sauté for ~2 more minutes. Add ground meat to pan and sauté until brown. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour ground meat mixture into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Scatter frozen veggies on top of beef mixture (be sure to use Paleo/Whole 30 approved veggies if applicable.)
- Pour tomato sauce over veggies and distribute evenly (you may want to use a spatula).
- Prepare Riced cauliflower according to pkg directions. or steam sweet potato and purée in food processor and puree until smooth.
- Spread mashed cauliflower or sweet potato over everything. Season with salt & pepper.