Who knew vegan meals could be sooooo delicious?! (Ok, probably a lot of you already knew that….) This easy-to-make soup is worth it’s weight in gold. This recipe is slightly adapted from avirtualvegan’s version (we added garlic because it’s oh-so-good for you and used vegetable broth instead of water).
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 50 min
Total Time: 1 hr
Yield: 8 cups
- 10 large carrots
- 1 medium onion
- 3-4 inch long fresh ginger root Or 6 cubes Dorot frozen ginger
- 4-6 Cloves Minced garlic Or 6 cubes Dorot frozen garlic
- 2 tablespoon oil (coconut oil or any other mild tasting oil suitable for roasting)
- 2 TBSP Vegetable Bullion We recommend Seitenbacher’s Vegetarian Vegetable Broth and Seasoning
- 2 tsp Sea Salt or Esther’s Gourmet Salt
- 1 tsp White pepper or Esther’s Zesty Peppermill
- 1 can coconut milk
- 4 cups water
- salt & pepper to taste
- To prepare freezer meal:
- Peel the carrots. Chop into large (about an inch long) chunks.
- Peel and chop the onion into chunks about the same size as the carrot
- In freezer bag combine:
- 6 cubes Dorot frozen ginger and 6 cubes Dorot frozen garlic (or fresh version, if you prefer).
- Coat vegetables with oil.
- Add vegetable bullion and seasoning.
- Seal bag and “mix” with hands.
- To Cook:
- Leave frozen meal in refrigerator for the day to thaw. To speed up the process, place frozen meal bag in a bowl of cold water.
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 400°F & ROAST CARROT MIXTURE
- Place the defrosted carrot mixture into a shallow oven proof pan, coat with oil and cook until tender (about 50 minutes) Check them by prodding with a fork.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven.
- Now blitz the vegetables with water in a blender .You will probably need to do this in 2 or 3 batches. Use the coconut milk in the first batch, then in the subsequent batches use the water. Just as much as you need to puree the vegetables.
- Once everything is smooth and creamy pour into a pot, add any remaining water and season to taste. Warm through gently in the pan and serve.
Amount Per Serving (8)
- Calories: 145