I decided to give connoisseurusveg’s Porobello Vegan Beef(less) Stew a try, with a few of my own adaptations, of course. This recipe did not disappoint and made it super easy to make a vegetarian version and a meat lovers version from the same base. Here are the changes I made:
- I didn’t have red potatoes, so used white potatoes instead
- Forgot to add flour. Had I remembered, I would have used arrowroot powder instead.
- Didn’t have red wine on hand, so left that out. Probably would have been a good addition though!
- Added a bag of frozen sweet potatoes
- I “wet chopped” the onion/carrot/celery mix in my vitamix and used the water as vegetable broth.
- I eliminated the liquid smoke as it felt a little too “fake” to me
- I eliminated the Marmite as I wasn’t feeling brave enough to try it and didn’t have it on hand.
- As usual, I incorporated Esther’s Seasonings
- I added Victoria’s Tomato sauce (such great quality) and organic diced tomatoes – yum!
As I’m typing all this out, I’m realizing I made some pretty drastic changes to this recipe and should probably just offer it up as my own! But I’m all about giving credit where credit is due and sometimes it helps to start with someone else’s version and take some creative liberties. After all, what fun is cooking if you follow the recipe exactly?