This delicious, moist and filling recipe is sure to please the whole family – even the kids! I made a few tweaks to allrecipe’s version:
1. Cooked the meatloaf as muffins to make it more kid friendly
2. Replaced dry quinoa and water with pre-cooked organic quinoa from Whole Foods
3. Sweetened with coconut nectar in place of brown sugar (healthier, lower glycemic index)
4. Used Esther’s Gourmet Salt and Zesty Peppermill in place of regular salt and pepper
5. Served this with cauliflower “mashed potatoes” to make a complete, healthy meal (regular potatoes are filled with simple carbs; not so great for you).
Course: Main Course
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 50 min
Total Time: 1 hr 20 min
- 1/w cup cooked quinoa
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 large clove garlic chopped
- 1 (20 ounce) package ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce Organic is best
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt Or Esther’s Gourmet salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper Or Esther’s zesty peppermill
- 2 tablespoons coconut nectar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce For topping
- 1 tablespoons coconut nectar For topping
- To make the freezer meal:
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute; remove from heat to cool.
- Blend or mix tomato paste, hot sauce, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire, egg, salt, pepper and coconut nectar in a large bowl until well combined. Combine with turkey, cooked quinoa & onions in freezer bag. The mixture will be very moist.
- Combine the coconut nectar & 2 teaspoons Worcestershire in a small bowl. Freeze this topping separately.
- To Cook:
- Shape into a loaf on a foil lined baking sheet, place in greased loaf pan OR use muffin pan to make “meatloaf muffins”.
- Drizzle topping over the top of the meatloaf.
- Bake in the preheated oven until no longer pink in the center, about 50 minutes. Will cook faster as muffins. Check after 30 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 160 degrees F (70 degrees C).
- Let the meatloaf cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Tastes great with cauliflower “mashed potatoes”!
Amount Per Serving (5)
- Calories: 259
- Protein: 25.3 g
- Carbohydrate: 15.2g
- Fat: 11 g
- Cholesterol: 121 mg
- Sodium: 968 mg